A few months ago, I found the cutest swan cupcake toppers from Anthropologie on Pinterest. Of course, like many of my Pinterest loves, when I clicked on the link, I found out that they had been sold out…like a long time ago. Ever since, I’ve been looking for ways to make similar DIY cupcake toppers. Well, here is the result!
I love the how the little felt swans turned out. If you would like to make your own, I even included a downloadable swan pattern to make it super easy 😘
- 4 sheets of white felt
- 1 sheet black felt
- 1 sheet gold/mustard felt
- Lollipop sticks
- Hot glue gun or glue pen
- Iron-on transfer paper like this
- This downloadable swan pattern
Tip: The list above makes 24 DIY cupcake toppers. If you would like to make 36, buy two more sheets of white felt; for 48, buy 4 more sheets of white felt.
01. Print out swan pattern onto transfer sheets according to transfer paper directions.
02. Cut the printed transfer sheet for pattern 3 in half. Iron sheets onto felt pieces. (Check patterns to see which felt piece to iron on to.) When cooled, remove paper backing.
03. Cut everything out.
04. Place lollipop stick onto felt swan (transfer paper up). Glue down.
05. Glue rest of pieces together!
When ironing on the transfer paper, use the hottest setting without steam. Put a paper towel between the iron and everything else, so that you don’t burn the felt. (It happens — I burned some!)
Also, for a clean transfer, I found it was best to make sure that the edges were fully sealed down onto the felt.
When gluing, a hot glue gun was definitely faster than a glue pen; however, it was a little tricky with the smaller pieces. It just kind of depends on what your preference is 😊
Once dry, stick into cupcakes and enjoy!