Now that summer is here, I’ve been on the look out for a good DIY natural bug repellent recipe. Twice recently, I have caught myself wishing I had some — once, laying out at the beach, I found myself assaulted by flies (btw, has this happened to you? It’s so annoying!); and the second time, camping with my husband, we found ourselves under mosquito attack. It was this second time, after acquiescing to rubbing brand-name chemical spray all over our faces (yuck!), that it became apparent that we needed an all natural option.
After some research, I realized that there are a lot of different essential oils that detract flies and bugs. Because this was going to be on my skin, I chose the oils that I felt would mix and smell the best. (Additionally, the lemon eucalyptus oil was one that came up a lot in recipes for repelling a variety flies and bugs.)
While you can use the recipe below in any spray bottle, I also created two different free printable labels if you would like. One says “Natural Beach Bug Spray” and the other “Natural Bug Spray.” Enjoy!
- 15 drops lemon eucalyptus oil
- 15 drops peppermint oil
- 1/2 cup witch hazel
- 1/2 cup water
- Spray bottle
- Free printable labels
- Printable sticker paper
01. Print out labels onto sticker paper, using the photo paper setting. (If you use my printable, you’ll find the first sheet full of the alternating design. The second sheet has only the two designs, in case you would like to save the rest of the paper to print something else.)
02. Cut out the sticker(s) and place on the front of the spray bottle.
03. Mix oils with witch hazel.
04. Mix with water and pour into spray bottle.